St.John Plantation, also known as Township
No.17, Range 8
St.John Plantation is located between the townships of Fort Kent and St. Francis
Plantation. Among its earliest settlers were lumbermen from the Kennebec valley.
The parish of St.John Vianney in St.John Pltn. was established as a parish
in 1930; the church building on the the National Register of Historic Sites.
Below is a map of owners of land in the western part of St.John Plantation,
with names of owners (click for enlarged view).
Click on the map
for an enlarged view
Below is a notice from the St.John Historical Society, from the St.John Valley
Times (Jan. 17, 2007):
The St.John Historical Society, in conjunction with the St.John Vianney Parish,
is in search of information about the following local families from the St.John
Parish from the late 1800s and later:
- Honoré and Josephine Cyr, Meddie Jalbert, Docite Jalbert, Gilbert
Jalbert and Theodore Jalbert, donors of land for the St.John Catholic Church
in the early 1900s.
- Mrs. Joseph Jalbert (died 1910), first burial in the new cemetery.
- Leonard Pelletier (born about Oct. 12, 1930), the first boy baptism in the
new St.John Parish, son of Paul and Angie (Wiles) Pelletier.
- Ester Theriault (b. abt Oct 28, 1930), first girl baptism in the new St.John
Parish, daugher of Joseph and Annie (Martin) Theriault.
- Johnnie Pelletier and Mithaide (Daigle) Pelletier (1900-1930).
- Edmond Robichaud and Marie Eugenie Hilda Pelletier (married Nov 28, 1930)
- Solomon Albert's store, early 1900s
- George Charette, ealry 1900s, first owner of cemetery property.
- Fred Z. Pelletier, early 1900s to late 1900s.
- Any other information on any other early families of the late 1800s and
the early to mid-1900s.
The society will also accept old photographs of the interior of the St.John
Catholic Church. All contributed photos will be returned.
For more information contact Fern Jandreau at 834-3506 or email:
Return to Upper St.John Valley Communities Page
Last revised 2 Feb 2007